The results of last night's caucuses in Iowa are inspiring to me for several reasons. Obama's and Huckabee's victories are an indication that Iowans are ready for political change, and I hope that this sentiment is carried across the country. I am truly sick and tired of this do-nothing Congress kowtowing to a lame duck Administration. (And I haven't even started my "policy placement" for my fellowship. yet! Ask me about my faith in the political process in a few months.)
Specifically, on the issue of health care, the Bush Administration simply needs to shut up and get the hell out. Ohio recently applied to expand its Medicaid program to cover more uninsured children. Due to the President's "compassion" (I swear that his spokesperson used this word...), Ohio's application was rejected. The Administration has decided that an August 2007 directive for SCHIP magically applies to Medicaid programs as well. This impossible directive mandated that states must enroll 95% of children below 200% of poverty before expanding programs. No state has ever enrolled that many children, and I promise you that it's not from a lack of trying. I work with many low-income clients on a daily basis through my job, and not even 95% of them have telephones!
I'd analyze more of the Administration's rhetoric on this topic (like its xenophobic banter behind its mandate for citizenship documentation for Medicaid or the concept of "crowdout"), but I need to get to work.
For now, I'll just be content that change is brewing across the nation. Thank goodness.
Friday, January 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Have you seen David Brook's op-ed on the Iowa caucus? He makes me sick. He's such a blithering idiot divorced from reality with a moralizing stick shoved up his ass. "But real middle-class families have more to fear economically from divorce than from a free trade pact. A person’s lifetime prospects will be threatened more by single parenting than by outsourcing. Huckabee understands that economic well-being is fused with social and moral well-being, and he talks about the inter-relationship in a way no other candidate has."
ARGHHHHHHHHH
Post a Comment