In between the many naps that I took in Brian Scholl’s Intro to Cognitive Science course, I remember learning that when it comes to the classic “nature vs. nurture” debate, some scientific evidence points to age as an determinant factor. If memory serves me correctly, a chart projected in the convenient dimness of the Art Gallery auditorium indicated that prior to age 21, personal beliefs and behaviors are primarily dictated by nurture. The reason? I’m not sure, but it may have something to do with your being an impressionable youth on daddy’s payroll. (Note: If you’re singing that awful Hoobastank song in your head now, please do society a favor and refrain from procreating.) After this milestone -- and perhaps the newfound ability to drink yourself into oblivion -- nature reigns supreme. I mean, we’re not just talking about heritable diseases like Huntington’s. Even traits like “political-ness” showed greater correlation with a person’s genes than his/her upbringing.
I’m still not sure if I buy this study. However, I am pleased to report that Air Canada flight 031 has yielded some exciting new empirical evidence of the extent of nature’s impact. Right now, my mom is asleep. This observation in itself isn’t so impressive, but I should note that she her face is currently resting directly on the airplane telephone installed on the seat in front of her. That’s right – that penchant I have for falling asleep with my head on sharp and/or painful objects? Totally inherited.
Vindicated. (Seriously, no singing-in-your-head, please.)

No comments:
Post a Comment