Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Unbearable Lightness of Me

So here I am, back at blogger.com.

According to my records, I last posted here in May 2005 after my sophomore year of college. I'm not sure what exactly brought me back to the blogosphere, but it probably has something to do with the excruciating boredom associated with post-college life. Call me a loser, but school has conditioned me into being a workhorse of sorts. Even though I have essentially no obligations, I have been waking before 9:00 a.m. every day for the last two weeks. Couple this penchant for early rising with a paucity of ways with which to entertain myself, and you get... an unbearable lightness of me.

Now, being the unread heathen that I am, I've never actually picked up Kundera. (However, one of the benefits of having jack-diddly-squat to do is time for pleasure reading. I've just ordered The Unbearable Lightness of Being on Half.com.) So here, I interpret these words quite literally. After graduation, I feel a lightness or hollowness inside. Now one important cause of my feeling light is probably my horrifyingly low BMI, which ranks me in the skinniest 2% of America. However, humor me and allow me to consider that my post-grad emptiness may also be caused by a sudden change of environment -- my sudden removal from friends, goals, and motivations that have kept me going for the last four years. I'm more alone than I've been in a very long time. Frankly, this is a little scary.

So here I am. This blog is a pitiful attempt to deal with the aforementioned emptiness. With it, I also hope to gather and record my thoughts, which have become increasingly harder to organize as I've gotten older. As such, this little fella is mainly for me. However, if you're reading this, perhaps you, too, can relate to my lightness of being, the feeling of floating along day-to-day without tangible, palpable things to anchor you down. If you're of kindred spirit, feel free to sit down and commiserate with me.

No comments: