Thursday, June 28, 2007

Crass is in.

This entry’s title goes out to you, “Special” K. Also, I’ve decided that since you’re working at the Reserve next year, I’m going to change your moniker from KMeck to KFed.

I was showing my youngest cousin my facebook profile two days ago. She’s 17 years old and attends high school here in Harbin, China. I glossed over the essentials: my profile picture, biographical information, etc. Out of this jumble, one particular bit that she noticed was my stated political inclination – “very liberal.” Having studied English (specifically, the flavor spoken by the Brits) in school, she understood what my declaration meant.

Her immediate reaction was to ask me if there were any implications with stating my political views so overtly. I explained to her that no, there were no practical consequences in the United States, and that many Americans take a great deal of pride in advocating for their beliefs. (I personally enjoy being angsty all of the time. Hypertension is fun.) To emphasize my point, I noted my membership in the facebook group “those to whom it is astoundingly clear that George W. Bush is full of shit” – clumsily and shyly translated to “those to whom George W. Bush appears to be a big idiot.” She was amused that I would brandish my politics so clearly and that students would choose to express their views so crudely. (Good thing I didn’t provide a direct translation for the facebook group…)

I was surprised by her reaction. Considering Monicagate (yikes, double entendre), the 2000 election, and then the 2004 Swiftboatin’, I’m accustomed to the vitriol associated with American politics. If anything, we are a polarized, indignant people. I found it refreshing to be reminded that there are places in the world where it’s not normal to be filled with ire about the government’s actions and inactions.

However, that said, isn’t pointing out the government’s bumbling failures both a Constitutional right and duty? ;)

No comments: