Well, I've been back in Georgia for a few days. Since China Standard Time is exactly 12 hours off from EST, I'm having a bit of difficulty overcoming jet lag. Today, I've been up since 2:20 a.m., and so far, all that I've managed to do is to watch Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. (Man, do those Asian American kids at P-ton know how to party... Right...) Anyway, in an effort to achieve consciousness during normal business hours, I decided to google "overcome jet lag."
Lo and behold, I have found a potential solution to my problem. According to a Reuter's article from May of this year:
The male impotence drug Viagra may be useful for treating jet lag as well, according to Argentine researchers who gave it to hamsters made to feel like rodent globe-trotters.
The researchers manipulated the schedule of turning lights on and off to induce jet lag in the laboratory animals, they reported on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Adult male hamsters given Viagra, also called sildenafil, recovered from jet lag up to 50 percent faster than hamsters that were not given it, the researchers said.
I'm kind of interested in (1) what caused scientists to correlate Viagra consumption with jet lag severity, (2) why hamsters were selected for this study, (3) why MSNBC decided not to abbreviate the journal as PNAS, as most scientists do, and (4) if insomnia is more or less dangerous than priapism.
Well, back to more low-brow humor... Is anyone else awake right now?
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment