Saturday, July 14, 2007

Milano Hotel

The 2007 Lemon Award for most misleading hotel advertisement goes to the Milano Hotel in Nanjing, China. The beautiful lobbies and well-decorated rooms depicted in its sales literature turned out to be complete shams, and my mom was actually afraid to let me stay in a room by myself due to security reasons. In fact, when we went out tonight, my parents made a point to purchase locks for our suitcases.

Here’s one example of why this place is a little bit scary and a lot of sketchy. My parents got a great deal on an economy room, which contains two full beds. (I’m staying in my own single.) When I entered their room, I thought that it was a little cozy but otherwise fine. My eyes immediately moved to their window curtain, which was made from a satin-like material:

Well, turns out that there’s not really a window in my parents’ room after all. After looking for a bit, I discovered something the size of a porthole in the rightmost corner. And looking out, it seemed that I could see something that resembled the Taj Mahal, which is an odd view for a 5th floor window in Nanjing, China:

I opened the window to investigate. Judging from the voices that I heard from the other side, this cubby hole led to another guest’s room. In fact, there was a visible crack that revealed said room’s carpeting. Well, there went my folks’ chance at fresh air and/or privacy:

Luckily, we’re only staying here for one night…

1 comment:

Jane said...

HAHAHAHA sketch to the max!!!!!! I'm glad you're getting such a great experience of China!!!