Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Night trader?

This will be our last night in Shanghai. (Tomorrow, we’re off to Hangzhou to cavort in its more natural settings.) My dad has just taken away the ethernet cord from me so that he can manage his stock portfolio. I just spent the last twenty minutes, about $5 USD worth of net access (20 minutes * 2 RMB/minute = 40 RMB; 40 RMB * $1 USD/~8 RMB = ~$5 USD), reading news, checking email, and facebooking. And now it appears that my time is up. Drat.

I don’t know anything about investment, which is probably going to be a problem later in life. However, since I won’t have any money to my name until I’m 40, my penchant for procrastination prevents me from finding interest in CNBC as of yet. For now, watching my dad read Yahoo! Finance will suffice.

Buying and selling on the NYSE and NASDAQ has been hard for my dad given the 12-hour time difference between China Standard Time and Eastern Standard Time in the U.S. If he wanted to follow the market from opening bell to closing bell, he’d have to stay up all night. This lead me to wonder – are there any night traders here in China? Have any people decided to risk their savings by personally buying and selling in American markets through the night, only getting to sleep after daybreak?

No comments: