Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mini Updates!

June 27, 2007, 9:15 a.m. (CST)

Today, I woke up at 5:50 a.m. to go shopping at morning market. This may seem extremely early to those of us who are used to the lifestyle of college seniors. However, there’s actually a good explanation for this very early rise. All of China is on one standard time; thus, the sun in Harbin comes up (from what I hear) at 3:30 a.m. these days. Eek.

Morning market was delightful – and dirt cheap. We went down to the Songhua River, where hundreds of people were exercising. There were 50-somethings rollerblading around and 70-somethings walking home with their totes of groceries. No wonder Chinese people (1) age well and (2) generally aren’t as rotund than los estadounidenses. I bought some flat peaches (donut peaches / Saturn peaches), lychee fruit, apricots, and melons. And I think everything was less than $3 USD. Fantastical. Also, there were some people selling leeks, and I took a picture. (Here's thinking of you, Wachi.)

About five minutes ago, I convinced Air Canada to give me a $100 expenditure allowance so that I can actually go get some facewash and clothing. I’ve been wearing the same American Eagle polo (the blue one with the maroon and white stripes) for the last two days. Needless to say, I’m getting a bit gross, even with regular showers.

June 26, 2007, 10:03 a.m. (CST)

Today, I got my hair cut. It was really, really long, but now it’s a bit shorter than I’d bargained for. According to my cousin, I looked like I was an art student when I arrived in China. I’ll take that as a compliment; however, in my heart, I knew that my appearance was dangerously approaching that of Joe Dirt. (I’m going to be a math dork here and assert that this approach is asymptotic thanks to some sense of personal dignity. I’d never let myself get to full mullet status.) Now I look more "aunthentically Chinese," according to my grandmother. Maybe I won't get swindled as much at markets now...

June 26, 2007, 12:27 a.m. (CST)

I’ve arrived in Harbin after an unexpectedly long flight. Due to thunderstorms -- It hadn't rained here for a week prior! -- we were forced to land at an airport 30 minutes out from Harbin and wait until the storm passed. I didn’t really mind since I was passed out the whole time. (Literally. I remember landing and then, er…, landing again.) The problem now is that it’s about noon in Eastern Standard Time, and it’s “past bedtime” here. Crap. Time to read for a bit!

June 25, 2007, 4:59 a.m. (EST), 4:59 p.m. (China Standard Time)

Air Canada lost my luggage. I have no clothing. This is awesome. At least I’m wearing my favorite pair of jeans.

Right now, we’re waiting for our connecting flight from Beijing to Harbin. I look like a huge foreigner in this airport, as I’m wearing a scruffy polo shirt, dark wash jeans, and green and yellow Pumas. And I’m reading The Namesake.

4 comments:

Iolanta said...

so now you're fat and naked?
love,
violet

Iolanta said...

i don't remember creating this handle.

Jav said...

yo, I feel like a foreigner most of the time here... and I'm actually Costa Rican... ugh...

kmeck said...

actually 1/5 of obese people worldwide are in china, and the number has increased 28 fold since 1985.