Monday, July 30, 2007

Ghostwriter

It's not even 6:00 a.m., and what better program is there to watch than Ghostwriter?!

I'd forgotten just how groundbreaking this show must have been in the early 90s when it first premiered. The cast is racially diverse, and topics such as the Spanish language and healthy eating are craftily woven into the script. When I watched the show as a kid, I didn't even notice now deliberately these lessons were incorporated. In other words, the writers were successful at indoctrinating at least one kid with useful information. Kudos.

On top of all of this, none other than Samuel L. Jackson plays the role of Jamal's father. (Sadly, the first story arc - "Ghost Story" - does not contain any appreciable numbers of snakes or airplanes.)

Watching the show now, I find the acting a bit cheesy and the plot a little contrived at times. However, these characteristics just make the show even more of a classic for a generation of recent college graduates, a generation that is probably more literate thanks to a strangely colorful dot with multiple eyebrows.

3 comments:

The Angry Swan said...

Word!

...

(get it?)

Iolanta said...

Wait, are you serious?
I found the casual mentions of "Daddy's bodega!" and the rainbow cast to be hamfisted as all get-out, even at that age.
(Then again, I grew up under Rush-lovin' K.C.)

The Angry Swan said...

There is a request for the full Tonnica Jenkins story over at our communal blog.