Thursday, December 27, 2007

Supersize my interview

My fellowship's "policy placement" starts in March, and for the past two weeks, I've been interviewing with potential employers. All interviews are conducted over the phone since most Fellows are very far from the District. After all is said (through headsets) and done (through email), both Fellows and organizations make preference lists. Then, an arcane matching system (which, I hear, employs a talking hat) is used to determine which Fellow works where.

I just had an amazing interview with a policy site.

Ok, that's a lie. It was surprising, and I'd like to share with you why.

The interview lasted 30 minutes. The first 10 minutes were devoted to small talk. Towards the end of our brief conversation, the interviewer suddenly seemed very eager to get off of the phone. I soon discovered the reason:

As I was somewhat superfluously explaining why I wanted to work for the organization and why I felt that the work would be personally meaningful, I heard something in the background. It was another person. But it wasn't just any other person. It was a fast food drive-thru operator. Something akin to "Can I take your order?" crept into my ear. I was confused, so I kept on talking, pretending that everything was normal. However, as I paid more attention to the ambient sound -- as I continued to blab about how my childhood makes this opportunity significant for me... -- I heard someone ordering a meal, perhaps a #2.

So yes, my interviewer was apparently in a car. At a drive-thru. During my interview.

And as another Fellow has suggested, my ranking at this place will depend exclusively on whether or not the medium french fries were salted to the interviewer's liking.

No comments: