Saturday, June 07, 2008

Clinton's Speech

Hillary Clinton just gave her concession speech in D.C., and I found it deeply moving.

During my junior year of college, Senator Clinton came to campus to speak about Brown v. Board and the state of education in the United States. Knowing that she was a politician, I expected a sugar-coated "look how far we've come" oratory. Instead, Clinton gave a very impassioned critique of how far we had strayed from the vision of Brown. Rather than engaging self-congratulatory back-patting, Clinton charged the audience (which primarily consisted of Yale law students) to continue the fight for educational equality in America. I left the auditorium very impressed.

I saw the same strong, resolute Hillary Clinton today. In simple terms – she’s a badass, and that’s what I love about her. She’s willing to go the distance, and when she comes up short, she figures out how to forge ahead. That kind of fortitude is something that I hope to develop during my lifetime.Summing up this election, she stated, “Life is too short, time is too precious, and the stakes are too high to dwell on what might have been.” Damn right. And onward we go, together, towards universal health care.

No comments: