Sunday, June 15, 2008

Not-so-dim Sum

So I was planning to go to dim sum this morning, but no one else ended up wanting to go. The original plan was to arrive in Silver Spring at about 1:00 pm, so I didn't eat anything until 12:45 pm. By then, it was exceedingly obvious that I'd either have to go eat dim sum alone (lame!) or develop alternate plans. So I did the latter.

I've been watching Top Chef, so I decided to cook something more legitimate than the usual brunch fare of two eggs and toast. Looking at my mini-pantry (which is strangely located at my bedside), I saw that I had a can of peas and some canned crab meat. In the fridge, I had 4 plum tomatoes. So I decided to make what's now a favorite: Cajun crab cakes. For a starch, I made a pasta sauté that included the tomatoes. I oven-roasted the tomatoes with olive oil, salt, peper, and garlic. I then mimicked a recipe from Yale's dining halls and added the peas to the pasta and tomato mixture, topping everything with some salt and lemon juice. All-in-all, it was pretty good, although I need to learn how to add flavor without overdosing on sodium!

And -- the best part -- I made more than enough for lunch tomorrow. Beautiful.

No comments: