Tonight, I went to an event at Campus Progress called "Protest Through Poetry," and I had the great fortune of hearing Alvin Lau perform. Lau is a spoken word poet from Chicago, and simply stated, he is amazing.
Lau performed three major pieces, including "What Tiger Said" (directed a Tiger Woods) and a choreographed number called "For the Breakdancers." But my favorite piece of the night was "Anniversary Poem":
This poem was penned in anticipation of the third anniversary of Lau's relationship with his girlfriend. On that night, he planned to read her this piece and propose to her. However, the relationship ended before this opportunity arrived, situating a beautiful poem a plaintive context.
The images in this poem are elegant and stunning. The way that Lau gives substance to punctuation and weaves them throughout this piece gave this grammar fiend's heart a jolt of excitement. For the less geeky, I'll let you judge for yourself.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment