Monday, April 12, 2010

Udpate 5: Seven Ate Nine

Then what happened to eight? I bet eight was smart and escaped from Seven the numeric cannibal. About one week left. Officially one week left to study.

Today, I'd like to share one of my secrets for success: gum. Previously, I already told Helicobacter that it was decidedly unwelcome in my gastrointestinal system. But if I remember correctly, another way to help neutralize acid is through salivary secretions since they're basic (they're -OH-so-good).

Mentally, I'm in a rough shape. I'm studying biochemsitry now, and I don't remember a lot of the biochemical reactions. For instance, did you know that phenylalanine (essential) is processed into tyrosine (not-quite-essential) by phenylalanine hydroxylase? And if that doesn't quite work out, tyrosine becomes essential? And the result is phenylketonuria, which apparently makes people smell "musty." [Insert grimace here] Maybe Old Spice should start a targeted ad campaign (from the top of a horse).

Anyhow, back to it I go...

Update: Sit and Stagnate (in Langdell)
  • No one noticed that in my original posting, I mixed up tryptophan and tyrosine. *caterwaul*
New memory aids that make no sense but will still be helpful:
  • "Anne Fabryni likes ceramics." (There's a professor named F-a-b-i-n-y. That's close enough.) For Fabry's disease, which involves a mutation that leads to accumulation of ceramides.
  • "Neiman's picked the sphinx." (In my head: Neiman Marcus for some reason decided to select the Egyptian Sphinx.) For Neimann-Pick diseases, which causes the accumulation of sphingomyelin.
Also:

1 comment:

Diana said...

oh my god. I haven't checked Google Reader in a while and I've been missing THIS? Haha stay sane please! RITE OF PASSAGE!!!